Northwest Indiana sees over 8000 commercial and semi-truck crashes between 2000 and 2008.
The Times recently ran a report of an investigation that it just completed involving Commercial, Heavy and Semi-Trailer accidents on Northwest Indiana's roads. In the years 2000 through 2008, there were over 8000 crashes with 219 fatalities. This is not anything new to a Northwest Indiana personal injury lawyer or anybody else that drivers I80-I94 or I-65. Our region has a high volume of trucking traffic because I-80 is a common thoroughfare for commercial trucks traveling from the east coast to the west coast.
The Times article brought out a number of factors that need to be repeated:
- Distracted and Fatigue drivers are the main causes of semi and passenger car accidents
- The massive weight of commercial and semi-tractor trucks make them much more difficult to stop and make avoidance maneuvers
- Scott Fleming, an Indiana State Police supervisor put it this way, “it all comes down to physics, a car weighing a few tons is not going to win against a semi weighing 80,000 pounds”
- 77% of these crashes occurred on dry pavement
- Most crashes occur during the day not the night
- Many drivers think trucks can stop on a dime – they cannot!
A semi-truck or heavy truck accident can have devastating effects. If you have any questions about a Northwest Indiana truck accident, call our Michigan City truck accident lawyer at (219) 874-4878 or shoot us an email.