Michigan City Indiana medical malpractice lawyer discusses US News and World Report's hospital rankings.
US News and World Report just published its honor roll of best hospitals in the United States. The following a list of the top 17 hospitals nationwide:
- Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester
- Cleveland Clinic
- UCLA Medical Center, LA
- New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell
- UCSF, San Francisco
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
- Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis
- UPMC – University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle
- University of Michigan Hospital and Health Centers, Ann Arbor
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, NY
- Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, CA
You will note that no Northwest Indiana medical center made the list. Indiana University Health ranked #3 in pediatric urology, #12 in pediatric diabetes & endocrinology, and #12 in pediatric pulmonology, University of Chicago scored # 9 in gastroenterology, #14 in cancer, and #19 in pulmonology. Northwestern ranked # 12 in neurology and neurosurgery, #15 in cardiology & heart surgery; and #16 in gynecology. Loyola ranked #20 in cardiology & heart surgery, #35 in ENT, and #39 in neurology & neurosurgery.
If you have a serious illness that requires specialized care, you probably should ask a referral to one of the medical centers that ranked high for your specific type of condition.