How much money is my Indiana car accident case worth?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions in the initial interview process. The value of a case is dependent upon a number of factors and the lawyer will not have all the facts at their disposal during the initial conference. One of the overriding factors in determining the value of a case is the available insurance, especially in this day and age when many people do not have disposable income.
As an example, if a client's injuries have a value of $100,000 and they lawyer discovers that there is only $25,000 available in coverage; the case is only worth $25,000 because the likelihood of recovering more than the insurance proceeds is slim to none. A car accident lawyer has the knowledge and experience to evaluate the factors that go into determining case worth.
If you have an initial interview with an attorney and they are able to tell you how much your case is worth, they are blow smoke. Without having sufficient information and attorney cannot provide you with the value of your claim.
The following factors are utilized by insurance adjusters and/or jurors in determining the value of your car accident claim:
- Your credibility
- The credibility of the other party
- Who was at fault for the accident
- How bad was the at-fault party's behavior
- The damage to the vehicles involved in the crash
- The nature and extent of your injuries
- Were you wearing your seatbelt?
- What was the cost of medical care and how much of the care was paid by insurance
- Are you required to pay back the money that your insurance company paid for her medical care
- The amount of your out of pocket expenses
- The amount of future medical expenses if future medical care is required
- Did you lose income, and are you expected to lose income in the future
- Did you have any prior injuries or pre-existing medical conditions that were not caused or aggravated by the accident
- If you are married or have children, how did the injuries impact your relationship with your family
- How did and how does your injuries impact your ability to enjoy life
These are some of the factors that go into determining the value of your car accident claim. In addition to the factors noted above, the insurance company may employ other strategies (i.e. surveillance) in an attempt to settle cases for less than full value. If you have a serious injury claim, it is in your best interest to speak with an attorney initially so you do not make mistakes that can destroy your claim.
If you have any questions about an Indiana car accident claim, you can give us a call at (219) 874-4878.